Recently, nearly 50 million Facebook accounts are being hacked, it becomes more important that we take the necessary steps to secure our accounts. This can be done by activating two-factor authentication on our Facebook accounts. A two-factor authentication adds an extra layer of security to your account and makes it less vulnerable for hacking. Here are the steps you need to activate two-factor authentication on your Facebook account.
1. Login to your Facebook account
2. Click on the inverted triangle option on the top right and go to ‘Settings’
3. Go to ‘Security and Login’
4. Under ‘Security and Login’, you’ll see options like ‘Change password’ and ‘Login with your profile picture’. Below that lies ‘Two-factor authentication’.
5. Click or tap on ‘Use two-factor authentication’
Now you have two ways that you can set two-factor authentication. The first is the ‘text messaging’ option and the second is to use a certification app such as Google Authenticator or Duo Mobile.
Using the ‘Text Message’ Option
1. The ‘Text message’ option, when chosen, sends a six-digit code to your registered phone number and asks you to enter that code for verification purposes
2. Enter the code received in your phone in the window that asks for the code and you are done.
3. You’ll see a message confirming that your two-factor authentication is on.
Using authentication app
1. In case you haven’t registered your phone number or don’t want to use that option only, you can use the second method. First, install any one of the authentication apps mentioned above if you don’t have it already.
2. Now, scan the QR code displayed on the screen or enter the code being displayed into your authentication app.
3. You’ll receive a new code on your app. Enter that code when asked for it. Your two-factor authentication will get activated now.